Monday, August 20, 2012





Dear Great Book Guru,  On Friday,  I will be leaving Sea Cliff  for a vacation weekend with friends and family, and we will be staying near the Edgartown Lighthouse in Martha's Vineyard. Lighthouses have always intrigued me with their sense of mystery and isolation;  just recently, someone told me there is a new novel set at a lighthouse in Australia, always a fascinating location. Do you know anything about this book?   Lighthouse Lover

Dear Lighthouse Lover,   While on my beautiful  porch this weekend,  I saw my friends Bill and Kathy Vitale walking by;  I could barely stop reading to chat with them because I was so engrossed in just the book you are asking about: THE LIGHT BETWEEN OCEANS by M. L. Stedman. I recommended it to Bill and Kathy and I recommend it to you too. The book opens as a young Tom Shelbourne, after a harrowing four years as a much decorated  World War I officer , begins his career as master of the Janus Lighthouse, located on a remote island between the Indian and Arctic oceans . We follow his courting of the lovely, spirited Isabel  and their married life on this isolated rocky island. When a healthy newborn and a dead man wash up on their shore, they begin to make a series of decisions that will impact the rest of their lives and the lives of countless others.  Throughout we are challenged to see the morality of their choices and we are left to wonder over and over what would we do in their situation. A wonderfully thought-provoking book!

No comments:

Post a Comment