Sunday, August 4, 2024


 Dear Great Book Guru, Summer 2024  is moving along so rapidly and I falling far behind in my quest to read a good book each week. Please help me – I need a quick moving, interest catching novel – doesn’t have to be new … Summer Reader

Dear Summer Reader,  Lots of us see summer as the best time of year to catch up on books we might have missed, and for me it was Tom Perrotta’s THE LEFTOVERS. Made into a long running TV series, the novel has been on my must-read list for years so last week I tackled it and am happy I did.  I’m sure you will enjoy it too.  The premise of both the book and TV series is that three years in the past on October 14, over a million people of all ages disappeared from all parts of the world- a Rapture of sorts. The novel focuses on the aftermath of this climatic moment and its effects on families in one village- perhaps a bit reminiscent of Sea Cliff!  Kevin Garvey the new mayor and  his two children Tom and Jill are dealing with a loss-wife Laurie has left them to join a group seeking to make amends for the sins of those left behind- the Guilty Remanent.  Another villager Nora Durst   has lost both husband and children to the Rapture and she finds herself unable to go forth especially when secrets are revealed about the past. Holy Wayne is a local figure who has founded a   religion to make sense  of  who and what remains.  As each of the characters struggles to find meaning in this occurrence, we see glimmers of our own quests to explain the unexplainable.  A thought-provoking book and highly recommended! 

No comments:

Post a Comment